Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Service to self, service to country

Growing up in a military and strong civic minded family, it was always stressed to us how important service to ourselves and service to our country was. As a result, I have always strongly believed in volunteering my time, my words, and my money to important causes, even if I am the only one who finds that cause to be important. I give money to a couple charities through the Combined Federal Campaign, I give my time (and Millie's time) to Furry Friends Pet Assisted Therapy Services and the Wildlife Conservation Network, and I give my voice to a variety of causes who send me emails asking me to speak for them. I vote.

This country is this country for everyone. Black, white, brown, gay, straight, man or woman. You have a voice. You have the ability to make a difference in people's lives. How can you not use that voice. How can you not use that ability. How can you not want to make a difference. You can and you should.

"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed people can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has." - Margaret Mead.

Make that difference. For yourself, for everyone.

No comments:

Post a Comment